Thursday, March 27, 2008

cobble, cobble

Turkey goes with Thanksgiving.

Peach Cobbler goes with Easter.

Say what? Yes, you read that correctly. Though I guess what I really should say is that Peach Cobbler goes with Good Friday.

Always.

I eat Peach Cobbler once a year. I don't know when it started, but I'm guessing it's been my whole life (minus the occasional Good Friday that fell over spring break, though often, if we were already in the condo as opposed to in motion, it was made!). Growing up we ate our peach cobbler for dinner, with milk. There was as time when I was a bit older, my Bro and I joined the relatives for cobblering - and I came to find out that some of them ate their cobbler for dinner with ICE CREAM. I felt robbed.

If you have 'wheat bowls' - you eat your cobbler out of this vessel. They are yellow bowls, with a white circle center, with, get this, a picture of wheat. They are china, and have a gold rim - making it a BAD idea to reheat cobbler in the microwave in a wheat bowl. I do not have wheat bowls. I believe my father to be in possession of the family collection, and unfortunately, he didn't bring them for this year's consumption (which was at my house). He won't be making that mistake again.

When I met Druggy, his family wasn't all that receptive to the idea of eating just cobbler for dinner. So, when we're with them, I make the cobbler for dessert and usually manage to choke down whatever it is that my mother-in-law is serving. It's a real sacrifice for me, as she's usually serving lobster. The horror.

On with the cobbler. Here's 'my' - aka, my mother's recipe. It's never the same twice, but it's always good - perfect for GOOD Friday.

It starts with Bisquick. I make the recipe for biscuits and then I add a bit of sugar and some cinnamon (or a mixture of cinnamon and other cinnamon-y spices - like nutmeg). These series of pictures were taken at my in-laws, and thus, the background provides some interesting tidbits. The one related to this picture is the FF on the milk...meaning fat free. Such a thing does not exist in my house.

After the cobbles are mixed up, I turn to the pan and peaches. I always use canned peaches. I know my mom has sometimes mixed frozen and canned. The frozen have a much stiffer consistency, and I prefer mush, so for me, it's canned. I use about 3 of the large cans for the 9 x 13 sized pan.

It was at this point in my pictoral documentary of peach cobbler making that my MIL wanted to know why she didn't get any attention with the blog and picture taking. So here she is cutting up the lobster for the kids' plates.

Back to cobbler - though the lobster looks good doesn't it?? Okay, once the peaches are in the pan I sprinkle them with flour (this helps thicken the sauce that also went into the pan with the peaches...so um, don't drain them). And because I so love cinnamon, I sprinkle them with that, too. Lots of that.


Next comes adding the cobbles. You can be really anal-retentive and roll them out like biscuits and use a cute little cutter and then lovingly place the cobbles on top of the peaches in some cute pattern. Or, you can do what I do and treat the cobbles like drop biscuits. (The fun tidbit in the background in this picture is the butter warmers for the lobster. I'm the only one in the family that eats mine with 'plain' butter, as opposed to lemon pepper butter. So there's a two-fer on the fun fact tidbits).


And so this is what it looks like when it's headed into a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes.


And this is what it's gooey, warm goodness looks like when it's ready to eat. I would recommend ice cream. But milk works too. Or just plain. And always make enough for breakfast the next morning.

No comments: