Monday, March 3, 2008

meat and gravy...yum!

In the early years of my marriage, when I only had ONE child (and I don't even remember what THAT was like!), we lived just under a half an hour away from my parents. My mom retired right before Yahoo #1 was born and so she capitalized on our proximity by having weekly "Grammie Days". It saved me a day of running a Yahoo to day care, and gave Grammie and Yahoo a great opportunity to run around town. Often their trips included the breakfast buffet at Big Boy and then a trip to the local library for story time. It was during these Grammie days that #1 Yahoo grew to love sausage gravy. She loves it so much she eats a bowl of it for 'dessert' after breakfast. So, what loving mother wouldn't try to learn to duplicate said gravy? I tried, once, to make sausage gravy from scratch. It's not that it was too hard, it was that the amount of work didn't result in the flavor I wanted...had it been spectular, I would have made it again. Alas, it was not.

Then we spent a weekend at my parents house and the secret was revealed. My mom found the easy way to make it.

Here's my recipe for "As Good as Big Boy's Sausage Gravy"

Pick up this bag of gravy mix from GFS Marketplace (that's Gordon's Food Service).
Follow the directions on the bag.


I add browned Bob Evans breakfast sausage to this. Thus the SAUSAGE gravy. I usually buy one tube and cut it in half and save one half for future use in the freezer. I also do this with their Mild Italian Sausage which I use in my calzones and pasta bakes.


Now, are biscuits hard to make? No.
If you make them with Bisquick are they even easier? Yes.
What's the easiest way to make biscuits? Open a tube. One tube of 8 Grands biscuits is more than enough for one breakfast with our Yahoos, with a few left over for um...leftovers.

There you have it. It was consumed so rapidly that I don't have a glorious, tantalizing picture of the finished product. Suffice it to say, however, that Yahoo said it was as good as Big Boy's.

No comments: